Fun Facts about Trees We Bet You Didn’t Know
1. Wind-blown cottonwood seeds can stay airborne for days before they land
2. Earth has more than 60,000 known tree species
3. The rings in a cut tree don’t just reveal its age. They can also show signs of environmental changes, like a volcanic eruption or severe drought.
4. Pine cones have genders. Male pine cones shed pollen and female pine cones make seeds. When the wind blows pollen into the female cones, you guessed it, the seeds become pollinated.
5. The first known tree was a leafless, fern-like plant from New York.
6. Trees help improve our water quality as they slow and filter rainfall.
7. No other organism on Earth lives as long as a tree.
8. Scientists thought this dinosaur-era tree went extinct 150 million years ago — but then it was found growing wild in Australia.
9. A shade tree can help cool your home or office building by as much as 20 degrees in the summertime.
10. A large oak tree can consume about 100 gallons of water per day, and a giant sequoia can drink up to 500 gallons daily.